Friday, October 24, 2008

"They made the new inactive guy a Bishop!!"

About the time when Floyd and his family moved to Gig Harbor due to starting his new job at Russell I was serving as the EQ President in our Ward. We had been working on a fellow who had not been active for many years. We learned that he liked basketball so we planned for a special night where many of us would show up and play ball to fellowship him. I made the announcement in Priesthood one Sunday and it was all set.

The big night came but the brother didn't show up. I'd also invited Floyd to join us since he was new to the area and loved to play ball too. I didn't think anything of it until several weeks later when Dave Allen came up to me at church very excited. He told me that they had just made the new inactive guy at basketball the Bishop of the other Ward! I guess I never mentioned to him that the real person didn't show up and Floyd was new to the area.

Later on at work I told Floyd about it and we both got a real laugh out of it. Floyd told me maybe that is why everyone seemed so extra nice to him, he just thought is was a very friendly group of guys...

No comments: