Saturday, October 18, 2008

My Uncle, a Righteous and Gentle Man

We often went to visit our cousins at Aunt Jeanie and Uncle Floyd's house as kids. My memories of those times are endless--but many of them are of Uncle Floyd cooking for all of us. This was so different from the home I was growing up in, that I didn't really know what to do with it. The dad was cooking while the mom was home? What was up with that? Now I get it, and Aunt Jeanie is a lucky woman.
He's made homemade chicken noodle soup--and by homemade I mean he MAKES the noodles! Also, I never make tomatoe soup without thinking of how he once made it for us in a huge pot, taking special care to stir it with a whisker constantly so it wouldn't scald--I still love tomato soup. The food I most associate with Uncle Floyd, and can never hear about without thinking of him, is scones. Oh, my, goodness. I do not mean the floury, crumbly, biscuit like jobbers you get at the fair. Talk about one of the worst bait and switches I've ever experienced! No, I am referring to Uncle Floyd's deep fat fried scones. They were greasy, and crispy, yet often chewy all at the same time. The scones were delicious alone, but there was also the honey butter to be slathered on. Honey butter is quiet literally one of the most heavenly things my mouth has ever tasted. We would sit and wait in line for a few to be done at a time, burning our mouths because we couldn't wait to eat our scone with honey butter--my mouth waters as I write!
The foods trigger the memories, but the lesson learned, for me at least, was that a dad (or uncle) could be nurturing. A man can help care for kids without complaint, and aid in creating warm childhood memories. I love Uncle Floyd and plan to post many more memories I have of him.

No comments: