Thursday, October 16, 2008

A Lesson Learned

When I was in junior high, I was on the volleyball team. I didn't get along with my coach very well. One day I was still at a friends house when practice time rolled around. A group of my friends were all going to the mall together and wanted me to join them and skip my practice. I called my Dad and discussed it with him. He told me that I was old enough to make the decision and they had taught me what was right and he would leave it up to me. I hung up the phone excited and told my friends I'd be going with them. Later that day when I returned home, my Dad met me, asked how my day was, said he was glad I had enjoyed it and now I was grounded. I couldn't believe it. I said "You told me it was my choice, how can I be grounded?" He then taught me a valuable lesson, he said "Yes, I did say it was your choice, I also said we'd taught you what was right. I had hoped you'd make the right decision. However, even though the choice was yours; the consequences were not. Always remember, you can make your decision, but you can't choose the consequences of that decision." I couldn't argue with that and had to accept my Dad's wisdom. Even though I may not have the exact wording, the message remains clear. You'll never know how much that lesson affected me. I have never forgotten it, nor will I.

1 comment:

Jennalee said...

yes, and you keep that little lesson tucked away because it WILL come up again :) I only say that because my sisters and I are having quite the discussion about choices and consequences right now..even as adults!